The first edition of MoNYS took place between the 8th and 13th of July 2012. 220 participants from all over the world arrived in Brussels keen to discover what it means to be a senior diplomat and work for one of the most powerful international institutions, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
During the Summit, the participants debated on topics of great significance for the evolution of the current global society, such as Smart Defence, military capabilities, anti-missile defence system, the fight against cyber attacks, or drug trafficking, and counter-piracy operations. All the discussions were developed under the main theme of MoNYS 2012, “Political responsibility through leadership, innovation and strategic thinking in the 21 century”.
The visit to NATO HQs, the meetings with National Representations, the briefings delivered by NATO officials and the overall event were able to shed light on some of the least publicly discussed activities of the organization. Participants had the chance to get insights on the work of the organization thanks to their meetings and discussions with NATO officials, who have been tremendously helpful in sharing important information with the delegates. Participants have had a real grasp on things during their discussions in Committees/Councils. Most importantly, participants have gained first-hand knowledge on relevant topics on today’s political and security agenda.
The participants showed their extensive commitment in putting into practice what they have learnt throughout their academic career. Interestingly enough was the high interest of those students not coming from the traditional political curriculum of studies. Delegates having, for example, marketing background, showed incredible skills while debating and working with their ‘political’ colleagues. Overall, participants have been able to use their knowledge of international politics and security to their advantage. Delegates were given the space, time and tools to express their positions while respecting their fellow colleagues.
- Mr. Anders Fogh Rasmussen, Former Secretary General of NATO,
- Ms. Kolinda Grabar Kitarovic, Former ASG for NATO Public Diplomacy and actual President of Croatia,
- Mr. James Mackey, Head of Euro-Atlantic Integration and Partnership at NATO HQ,
- Mr. Sorin Ducaru, Former Permanent Representative of Romania to NATO HQ and actual ASG for NATO Emerging Security Challenges,
- Major-General Harry Vindevogel, Commander of the Royal Military Academy,
- Dr. Ian Lesser, Executive Director of the German Marshall Fund`s Transatlantic Center in Brussels,
- Adm. Jacques Rosiers, President of the Euro-Belgian Association,
- Mr. Troels Frøling, Secretary General of the Atlantic Treaty Association,
- Dr. Marat Terterov, Director and Founder of European Geopolitical Forum,
- Mr. Hugh Lovatt, Research Officer at the International Crisis Group.
NATO PDD, Ministère de la Région Bruxelles Capitale, Atlantic Treaty Association, Université Libre de Bruxelles, STAR Alliance, ACCOR Network – IBIS Hotels, Cactus Audiovisual, European Geopolitical Forum.